Senior Citizen Homepage

MAR – Mountainside Active Retirees – contact Ellie 908-232-4399
Meet the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the Month at the Mountainside Municipal Building  in the Community Room which is located on the second floor from 10 am to 12 noon during the months of September through May.  We have an active calendar of interesting speakers and also schedule two trips a year.
Objective is:

  1. To promote the cultural, educational, recreational and social activities of active senior citizens of the Borough of Mountainside.
  2. To afford the members the opportunity to meet with their peers and to provide active senior citizens with the opportunity to present their views in matters of concern to them. Close for summer mid-May through August.

Senior Citizen Club – contact Eve 908-789-8568
Meet the 2nd and 4th Friday of month at Community Presbyterian Church 12 noon during the months of September through June.  Senior Citizen Club is a borough-sponsored organization.

Objective is:
To extend an opportunity to men and women in retirement years to meet socially, to build new friendships, and create an active interest in various programs.

Tax Assessor

Office of the Tax Assessor

The Tax Assessor is required to be a Certified Tax Assessor be the state of New Jersey and is appointed for a term of four years. He or she may achieve tenure after four consecutive years.

Before taxes can be levied, all properties in the borough must be evaluated. The statutes require the Tax Assessor to evaluate property on October 1st in each year. After examination, the Tax Assessor determines full and fair value of each parcel of real property in the district. The Union County Board of Taxation may suggest a re-evaluation every five years based on 100 percent valuation of the property.

The Collector of Taxes position is mandated by the state law. He or she is appointed to a four-year term and may achieve tenure after serving five consecutive years. He or she is required to be licensed by the state of New Jersey as a Certified Tax Collector. The collector is responsible for the billing, collection, and recording of all taxes and sewer fees levied upon the properties in Mountainside.


The Bureau of Fire Safety performs the following functions in order to provide and maintain an adequate level of fire prevention and protection:

  • Inspect structures for compliance with the New Jersey Uniform Fire Code
  • Investigate violations of the fire code
  • Investigate all complaints under the fire code
  • Investigate fires and explosions
  • Coordinate activities between local and state agencies
  • Coordinate projects with the Fire Subcode Official
  • Issue required permits
  • Refer appeals to the Construction Board of Appeals
  • Review all requests for variances.
  • Inspects and issues certificate of smoke detector compliance (CSDC)
  • Conducts public fire education programs
  • Responds to emergency calls

Health & Welfare

Among the responsibilities of the Health Department is the inspection and licensing of food handling establishments in the Borough. The Department also has the responsibility to make inspections to determine the condition of dwellings, dwelling units, and premises located within the Borough in order to safe guard the health and general safety of the public. The Department operates child health clinics; health education programs; rabies education programs and follow-up on rabies exposures; restaurant inspections; water and other environmental testing; public swimming pool inspections; and general health complaints.

  • What services does animal control provide in Mountainside?

    • Rescues injured and stray animals.
    • Rescues injured wildlife.
    • Reunites lost pets with their owners.
    • Enforces local and state animal laws including the investigation of dog bites and animal attacks, animal welfare checks and nuisance complaints
  • What should a resident do if they see a fox or coyote?

    Just seeing a fox, or even possibly a coyote, is not by itself cause for concern.  Over the past few years these animal populations have grown and can be found throughout NJ.  It is important to remember that both fox and coyote have adapted to live quite well in the suburbs and even alongside humans.  It is also important to remember that these animals are normally not aggressive.  There are things that residents can do to make their property less appealing to these animals.  

    • Do not feed wild animals
    • Ensure all trash is placed in a receptacle with a tight fitting lid
    • Do not leave food for pets outdoors
    • Ensure all bird feeders are maintained and tidy (you may even consider using a block suet)
    • Ensure your yard is clean with trimmed hedges and cut grass
    • Install a motion sensor light in your yard
  • If a raccoon is spotted out during the day, should residents be concerned?

    No.  The idea that raccoons are completely nocturnal is inaccurate.  Raccoons often look for food during the day, especially during the fall and spring.

  • When should a resident become concerned?

    Anytime an animal appears sick, aggressive or injured residents should call the local police department who will contact animal control.  If an animal has not moved from certain location or has been circling an area for a while animal control should also be contacted.

  • When should a resident become concerned?

    Anytime an animal appears sick, aggressive or injured residents should call the local police department who will contact animal control.  If an animal has not moved from certain location or has been circling an area for a while animal control should also be contacted.

  • What should a resident do if they encounter an animal that is aggressive or appears to be rabid?

    After an encounter with aggressive or possibly rabid animal residents should immediately notify the police.  If possible, try to keep an eye on the animal so the police know where to find it when they arrive.

  • Is the rabies virus still found in NJ?

    Yes, unfortunately, there is still rabies in NJ.  You can protect your pets and your family by ensuring that all dogs and cats, even those that never go outdoors, are licensed with the Borough and currently vaccinated against rabies.  Licensing your pets is not only the law but it is also a way of protecting your pet against rabies.  You can license your pet by contacting the Borough at 908-232-2400.

  • With warmer weather approaching, what happens if a resident finds a bat in his or her house?

    Bats can sometimes carry the rabies virus.  Anytime a bat is found in a living space animal control or the police should be called.  If possible, bat should be collected for rabies testing so do not let it out the window or cause injury to its head. It is also important to remember to cap your chimney appropriately.

  • Are you allowed to feed wild animals in Mountainside?

    No.  Mountainside has several local ordinances that prohibit the feeding of wild animals.  These local laws include the feeding of stray cats.  Additionally, New Jersey law states that anytime a resident feeds a stray cat, they become the legal owner of that cat or cats.

Mountainside recommends the services of  Animal Control Solutions for assistance with any animal control or animal welfare services.